Sunday 16 December 2012

One week of nights down, one to go!

I have finished one week of nights. I admit I strayed from my 12WBT plan, particularly the meal plan. I skipped almost all breakfasts because by the time I get home from work at 8:30 am I am so exhausted I go straight to bed!

I exercised as much as I could though. Twice on Monday, twice Wednesday and tonight as well. I know it doesn't sound like much but trust me, it is a hell of a lot better than I could ever do before starting 12WBT. I used to not do any exercise for the week of my nights because I was too lazy and/or tired to do so.

I have eaten well for my nights also. I took a little snack sized packet of chips each night and limited myself to that and yoghurt for snacks. Usually I would binge on a whole box of shapes or packet of chips to myself! Even though I am living on 3 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours and feel absolutely knackered, my body is feeling really good.


Tonight my exercise consisted of 2.01km run - I walked occassionally but it was the best I have done. I feel like my fitness is improved greatly. I never used to be able to run except the first 100 metres or so, then I walked practically the rest of the way!

I'm really looking forward to the big test of Christmas. So far work has been trying but not too difficult. Patients frequently bring in boxes of chocolates and other food to say thankyou, but chocolate is easily avoided for me. It will be mums amazing Christmas baking on Christmas day lunch that will be the REAL test!

Here is a recipe for healthy egg nog for the holiday season!

Healthy Makeover Eggnog: 
A holiday classic, reinvented with only one-fourth the saturated fat and half the cholesterol of the original. Don’t worry, it still has its decadent flavor and thick, rich texture. You will never believe that it is only 105 calories per serving!
  • Ingredients:
    • 3 large eggs
    • 3 large egg whites
    • 5 ½ cups of low-fat milk
    • ½ cup of sugar
    • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
    • Salt
    • 2 tablespoons of vanilla
    • 1/3 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
    • 1/3 cup of dark Jamaican rum (optional) 
  • Directions:
    • In bowl, with whisk, beat eggs and egg whites until blended; set aside.  In heavy 4-quart saucepan, with heat-safe spatula, mix 4 cups milk with sugar, cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon of salt.  Cook on medium-high until mixture boils and thickens slightly, stirring constantly.  Boil 1 minute.  Remove saucepan from heat.
    • Gradually whisk ½ cup simmering milk mixture into eggs; pour egg mixture back into milk in saucepan, whisking constantly, to make custard.
    • Pour custard into large bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg, rum and the remaining 1 ½ cups of milk.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.  Sprinkle eggnog with nutmeg to serve.

 This is a great idea for a beautiful table centrepiece, and so healthy too! It looks stunning and the family and friends will love picking out their favourite fruits for an amazing alternative to Chrissy desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment